Throughout many households all over the world, a small yet terrible problem to face would be bed bugs. This is mainly because most homes come with safe and temperate environments that are seen by bed bugs as the perfect breeding ground. Imagine the nightmare of seeking a peaceful sleep, being disturbed by these creatures, and waking up with lots of bites all over your body. But don’t fret, here are X preventive measures that you can do to protect your beds free from a bed bug infestation.
- Use a mattress protector. – One of the simplest and easiest ways to keep your bed free from problems is by using a mattress protector. This tool offers waterproof protection so that your bed is guarded against spills, accidents, dust, and debris. Beyond that, you will also be protected against dust mites and bed bugs.
- Replace your mattress every 2 to 5 years. – Though this might seem like a short period, this is one of the most straightforward actions to get rid of the bed bug infestation. Though bed bugs can gather in other areas of the house, it can still be helpful to eliminate the source and start from there.
- Regularly vacuum your rugs, carpets, and floors. – At the very least, you should vacuum at least once a week. But, if you are currently facing a bed bug problem, you should vacuum daily. You should also make sure that you will dispose of all the vacuum contents in a sealable plastic bag so that the bed bugs you have captured will not get the chance to escape.
- Use a bed bug spray. – Bed bug sprays can be bought to prevent and treat bud infestations. Some are made from natural ingredients, like the pest peeve bed bug spray. Before buying one for yourself, you should consider whether it is a contact spray, which immediately kills bugs, or a residual spray, which kill insects gradually over time. If you are looking for a bed bug spray, consider their odor, whether they leave stains, disinfection characteristics, chemical contents, and if they can also kill the eggs of the parasite.
- Use some essential oils to repel bed bugs. – For keeping away bed bugs and other insects away from your bed, you can choose among these go-to essential oils: cinnamon, clove, eucalyptus, lemongrass, lavender, peppermint, tea tree, and thyme. In utilizing these oils, you just have to add 6 to 10 drops of essential oils to a small spray bottle with 1/4 cup of water and spray the mixture in areas in your home you want to protect, as well as your clothes, bags, luggage, and other items you take with you when you travel.
- Cover your power outlets – Bed bugs take advantage of the spaces in power outlets so that they can escape extermination. These parasites hide there and wait until they feel like it is safe to move elsewhere. In fact, in cases of extreme bed bug problems, they can travel through walls, which will even spread the problem to other areas of your house.
- Educate yourself with the first signs of a bed bug infestation. – One of the easiest ways to identify a bed bug problem is through bites. These are very itchy and are usually found in clusters of three. Sometimes, these can even trigger allergic reactions for some people. You can also look for eggshells, shed skins, and actual bed bugs near the lining or piping towards the edge of your mattress.
- Check your pet and your pet’s bed. – Just like human beds, the beds of your pet cat or dog can also serve as the home of bed bugs where they will feed and lay their eggs. For safety, maintain regular veterinarian visits for your pet and make sure that their pet bed is regularly washed at the highest heat settings.
- Clean up and declutter. – The more clutter you have in your home, the more prone you are to get infested by bed bugs, termites, and similar species. You should start protecting your home by getting rid of the things that you have no plan on using, like clutter, especially when near walls, are the favorite hiding spots of bed bugs. It’s up to you whether you would go for disposing of, recycling, or donating these items. In line with this, you should also ensure that you maintain cleanliness and organization within your home.
- Use Bed Bug Monitors. – You can purchase bed bug monitors to go under the feet of the bed frame so that you can prevent the bugs from reaching the bed from below. These devices go under each bedpost, and they can tell whether there is a preexisting bug infestation in your home.
- Seal your home from bed bugs. – There are a thousand different ways that bed bugs can enter your house. Usually, they travel through birds, rodents, and pets. They also get inside through your clothing, luggage, and shoes when you pick them up from offices, public transport, houses, and other places. Therefore, you should check out nooks and crannies throughout your home and cover up all holes that you find.
Encountering a bed bug infestation is not a dead-end scenario. It would still be best to maintain your home and commit to preventive measures so that problems like this could be avoided. In case you encounter a bed bug issue, there are lots of options available that homeowners can try to alleviate and solve the situation. If the problem intensifies after significant attempts, contact a pest control professional for the best type of diagnosis and treatment.