People often tend to forget the ceiling while redecorating their houses. The ceiling colour has an immense role to play in making a room look spacious. With the right shade of colour, you can easily make the area look bigger. On the other hand, certain colours can even make the room feel smaller.
It can be tricky to choose the right ceiling paint, especially with so many options available in front of you. Hire painting services in Bangalore to get all the help you can in finding the right colour for your ceiling.
Certain colours can uplift the mood of your home while making the space look bigger. Finding the right shades depend on a combination of factors, particularly your personal taste and painting technique.
There are a few rules that you need to follow to find out the right ceiling paint colours to make a room look bigger.
Choosing the Same Colour to Paint Your Walls and Ceiling
If you are planning to paint your walls and ceiling with the same colour, consider choosing light or dark shades depending on the size and type of your room. It is best to avoid medium tones as they do not work well unless you want to experiment with a new technique. You can try to paint the ceiling and walls with the same colour for the following types of rooms –
- Small Rooms – If you choose a darker shade for walls and ceiling paint, you will be able to create an ambience of intimacy and rich colour. However, if you want the room to look airy and spacious, go for a lighter shade. Bathrooms are perfect examples of rooms that have the same ceiling and wall paint shade.
- Large Rooms – When you choose a darker or lighter shade in a large room, you will be able to unify the room and bring attention to your décor and furniture.
- Vaulted, Angled, and Asymmetrical Ceilings – When you use the same paint colour for walls and false ceiling paint in such rooms, you will be simplifying the complex shape of the room. If you want the space to look cosy, try darker shades. On the other hand, lighter shades help in opening things up.
Img Source: remodelista.com
Choosing a Darker Shade for Your Ceiling than Your Walls
Going for dark ceiling paint colours can be ideal in situations when you want to create a contrast between the ceiling and walls. A room with white walls would look absolutely stunning with dark ceiling paint. However, the darker shade should be only two or three shades darker in order to keep the look polished and sophisticated. Consider a dark false ceiling paint when –
- You want the room to be more intimate or cosier – A darker paint helps in creating an illusion of a lower ceiling. Therefore, you can use such a contrast for very large rooms.
- You want to accent decorative trims (like crown moulding) – Darker ceilings help in creating a contrast that lets your beautiful home décor pop.
- You have a white-walled room – As mentioned earlier, you can create a striking contrast by choosing dark ceiling paint colours in a white-walled room.
Choosing A Lighter Shade for Your Ceiling than Your Walls
Lighter ceiling colours for living room will make the space look bigger. If you wish to open up small spaces in your room with lower ceilings, try out a lighter false ceiling paint colour. You can paint your ceiling with a lighter shade if –
- You wish to try out a low-contrast look.
- You are fond of subtle tones and simplicity.
- If you wish to make the room appear bigger.
You will find a plethora of options in light ceiling paint colours to make a room look bigger. People consider white paint for ceilings to be an excellent choice. You can use white ceiling paint colours to brighten a room or cover imperfections like sunlight stains, cooking oil stains, and candle smoke. White ceilings look great when –
- The room is brightly-coloured – If the furniture, upholstery, décor, or paint of your room are brightly-coloured, you can choose to paint your ceiling white.
- The room is a primary living area – When you opt for white ceiling paint colours, you maintain a sophisticated charm while keeping the simplicity intact. It is particularly true when you are choosing ceiling colours for living room or kitchen.
- The room ceiling has visible imperfections – With white paint, you will be able to hide bumps or lumps on your ceiling effectively.
- The room doesn’t get enough natural light – Rooms that do not get enough light will benefit from white ceiling paint as it reflects light to the darker corners of the room.