Anyone interested in becoming data electricians and seriously wanted to pursue it as a career should have a better comparative analysis of the terms journeyman and master electrician. It is your right and duty at the same time to check the details while taking it as a path.
An apprentice and then to become a journeyman followed by the master electrician status takes years and time.
Journeymen have invested years and years in doing perfection which allows them to be a perfect skill. However, the journeyman and master electrician difference is significant. You need to know the difference which decides to enter into this profession as a career or not.
Let’s have a look at the training and experience of both for revealing details further in this matter.
Journeyman experience and training
- Journeyman experience should be of 8000 hours which comprises of 04 years almost
An ideal journeyman who aspires to others have learned to:
- Interpret blueprints and mechanical drawings
- Follows the electrical codes and regulations
- Have full knowledge of the fire alarms
- Does know the installation and maintenance of electrical equipment
- Use of protective devices
After the licensing procedure, a journeyman is then ready to become a master electrician. This expedition is followed by additional 4000 hours of work in the relevant field for over 02 years and then passing out the exam for master certification.
A master electrician certification possessed by a person has the following proficiency in areas:
- Creates electrical blueprints and building plans
- Coaching, monitoring, and evaluating the other electricians
- Giving solutions for complex electrical system failures
- Being the point of contact for owners and vendors
- Plan and execution of long term projects with architects, electricians, engineers, and general contractors
Journeyman and Master Responsibilities comparisons
Responsibilities are somewhat different and specific related to both jobs as certain specifications will only suit the master electrician and few go specifically with the journeyman portfolio.
A journeyman has standard electrician duties such as;
- Installing and repairing wires.
- Installing the electrical components in walls, floors, and ceilings
- Replacing and upgrading of older systems
- Testing and installing of the electrical appliances
A master electrician has the following electrician duties such as;
- Installing and maintaining electrical systems
- Working and designing of the blueprints and electrical plans
- Project management related to electrical ones
- Ensuring electrical codes are following the current scenario to obtain work permits
- Preparing the schedule for journeyman and apprentice electricians
All the above points reveal that the master electrician is above the journeyman because of his extended work exposure and experience.
Pay and Salary Comparison
While doing a comparison of journeyman and master electrician salary, the difference is not very minor and not very huge. For instance, a journeyman if paid $28.55 per hour then the master electrician is getting $32.50 in America mostly as per research.
Of course like in every industry, being more experienced and with greater expertise, it will yield much better results in terms of money-making.
Both journeyman and master electrician, we will have the perk of doing work independently but still, there is a difference in scope and career opportunity. A master electrician is above one level due to its more exposure in this field than a journeyman. It is very important to determine what you can or can’t do by checking the labor laws in areas where you can.
Journeyman vs master electricians
Being an employer, you need to consider things before hiring a journeyman or master electrician.
To create blueprints or mechanical plans, you need to hire a master electrician because a journeyman understands the electrical drawings’ interpretations but cannot create them.
To acquire a building permit for structural changes, you are in need of a skilled person who will be doing this for you keeping in mind the laws and regulations that vary from state to state.
If you need to hire a leadership role or project manager, it would be best to hire the services of a master electrician.
The above-mentioned things are not meant to discourage not hire a journeyman rather a journeyman is capable of doing low profile things with less expenditure. However, it is suggested to always acquire the services of a master electrician when laws and regulations are involved.