Whenever you send fresh flowers to France to close friends and relatives, there is a sense of belongingness. It showcases love and care. The person who receives this gift might take care of it. And you know what, these flowers need to be kept alive and fresh.
Whenever someone receives a bunch of flowers as a gift, it indicates happiness, either your birthday, anniversary or any celebratory occasion. You got them as a gift, and you aren’t going to throw them out, are you? You can use them as a decorative piece for your place by placing them in a vase. And vase at the side of the window, on a table, beside the TV, or on a fire mantle. It will beautify the place. But the problem lies in maintaining them.
Here in this article, we have mentioned best practices to carry out for keeping your flowers fresh and alive.
The method that every florist suggest comes first. Read carefully to make your flowers live longer and fresh:-
1. Before you put blooms into the water, cut an inch or a two of the stem carefully with a garden shear. (You can also use a knife or paper scissor.)
2. Prune the leaves and dead petals from the flower. You will need to cut off the leaves that fall below the water line to avoid the bacterial formations in the water.
3. Vase selection should be made based on the length of the blooms. Heavy and bigger blooms should be cut short and put in a shorter vase, and delicate and lighter flowers should be kept in a taller vase.
4. Clean the vase properly with water to remove the dust. Then add water to the desired level and put in the flowers. Remember to change the water every few days.
5. Keep the flower vase away from direct sunlight and in colder places. Along with that, make sure the vase is not kept near any appliances. Keep them away from fresh fruits and open windows; it will reduce their lifespan.
These were the basic practice to keep your fresh flower bouquet fresh and alive. For increasing the life of the blooms, go through the following points that can also be called an advanced practice to keep them fresh and lively. And the plus point is you will mostly find everything at your home only.
Below is the list of agents that will help in procuring the healthy life for your flowers:-
Make preservative on your own by adding apple cider vinegar and sugar. All you need is three tablespoons of sugar and two tablespoons of white vinegar in a liter warm water to make the life-providing solution. Put cut flowers in the vase covering three to four inches of stem in the prepared solution.
Aspirin doesn’t just give relief to us; human beings it also keeps cut flower fresh for a longer time. Put a crushed aspirin in the water before placing cut flowers in the vase and remember to change the water on a daily basis.
Add 1/4th tablespoon of bleach in 1 liter of water and place the cut flowers in the vase. There is also another way of using bleach, which is three drops of bleach and one teaspoon of sugar in one-liter water. This solution helps in keeping the water cleaning and avoid the growth of bacteria.
Coins are made up of copper, and they act like an acidifier when in water, preventing bacterial growth. Place a coin and a cube of sugar in the water before keeping the flowers in the vase.
Flower food is specially made for keeping the flowers fresh and safe. And it is the best way to keep your blooms fresh for a longer time. Add flower food in the water and see your flowers blooming for the days.
It is said that flowers can stay active and fresh in the cooler temperatures (they are really cool!). Low-temperature slows downs the aging of flowers and increases its lifespan. So, put your bouquet in the fridge every night, i.e., eight hours.
Soda has multiple uses, from cleaning batteries to easing stomach pain. Among its various uses, keeping flowers is also one. 1/4th cup of soda in a vase will keep your flowers fresh. It will also add a sweet fragrance to your blooms.
Vodka or spirit acts as an anti-bacterial solution. Add a few drops of vodka and one teaspoon of sugar to stop the bacterial growth and to keep your blooms fresh. Remember to change the water every day.
Now the flowery-gift you received will stay alive and fresh for a longer time. Try out these practices at your home, and you will be mesmerized at the sight of fresh and blooming flowers in your vase every morning.