Most homeowners are passionate about keeping the exterior of their residence in pristine shape. While maintaining the outside of a home will be a bit time-consuming and expensive, it is well worth the investment. The first thing most visitors to your home will notice is the condition of your exterior paint. Having dull or flaking paint on the outside of your home can create an eyesore. Rather than letting dull paint detract from the appeal of your residence, you should hire the professionals at Paysons Painting to help you out. Are you unsure about how often you need to paint the exterior of your home? Consider the following factors when trying to solve this problem.
1. What Material is Covering the Outside of Your Home?
The first consideration to make when trying to figure out how often to paint the exterior of your home is the material you have covering this portion of your residence. There are so many options when it comes to exterior home coverings which is why you will need to take your time. Check out this list of common exterior coverings to find out how often they should be painted.
- Wood Siding- If your home features wood siding, then you will probably need to paint it every 3 to 7 years. In some cases, a homeowner will want to stain their wooden siding instead of paint it. Staining this type of siding ever 4 years will keep it looking great.
- Aluminum Siding- For most homeowners, using vinyl siding is mostly about appeal and durability. You will need to have your vinyl siding painted every 5 years.
- Stucco- Painting stucco is a great way to enhance the appeal a home has. Homeowners with this type of exterior covering will need to plan on having it painted every five years.
If you have more questions about the type of exterior covering you have and when to paint it, be sure to contact the team at Paysons Painting for help.
2. Consider Your Climate
Did you realize that the climate in the area you live in plays a huge role in how often you need to repaint the exterior portion of your home? If your home is near the ocean, then the paint on the outside of your home will usually take a lot of abuse from the wind and sand common in these areas. Also, the salt from the water can do a number on your paint over time. As soon as you start to notice peeling paint or large patches of faded paint, you probably need to call professionals in to repaint you’re the outside of your home.
3. The Quality of the Paint Job Matters
When attempting to assess how long you need to wait before painting the exterior of your home, you should think about the quality of the existing paint job. If a homeowner tries to handle this type of complicated work on their own, it will usually end in disaster. Rather than having to paint a home prematurely due to mistakes, a homeowner will need to work with the right professionals to get the job done correctly.
4. Proper Prep Work is Key to a Good Exterior Paint Job
Failing to properly prep a home before exterior paint is applied can lead to a number of complications. The exterior surface of a home needs to be cleaned and sanded in order for new paint to properly adhere. Failing to do this type of prep work will usually result in you having to pay professionals to re-prep and repaint your home.
Rather than causing more problems for yourself with a DIY exterior paint job, you need to call on Paysons Painting for help. Their team of well-trained painters can get this type of work done quickly and correctly.