While it is unavoidable to face electrical problems in your home, it is important to know when to do it yourself and when to leave it to the experts. And electrical faults are among the problems in your home that only licensed electricians should handle. Why? Because they are dangerous.
Electrical faults can be caused by human error, the environment, or failing equipment. If not addressed immediately, they can damage your electrical components and devices. They can also cause shocks or electrocution to you and your family. Or worse, they can lead to a fire. To prevent such incidents, here are the 4 electrical faults and signs you need to call an electrician.
1. Cord and Electrical Overload
When there are too many appliances plugged into a single circuit or cord, this can cause a spike in the flow of current. This excessive power load can exceed the capacity of the socket or cable, causing an overload. When this happens, your circuit breaker will trip and cause a shutdown. If there’s no breaker in the circuit, the overload can start a fire.
Now, the circuit breaker tripping is the most obvious sign of an overload. Other signs can include the following:
- Buzzing sound from outlet or switches
- Burning smell
- Burnt outlet or plug
- Dimming lights when you turn on another appliance
- Unusually warm devices
To prevent overloading, you have to spread your electrical needs. Use different outlets and avoid misusing your extension cords. If you don’t have enough outlets for your devices and appliances, call an electrician Inner West expert or your trusted professionals in your area to install new sockets.
2. Short Circuit
In simple terms, a short circuit is an issue with your electrical circuit wherein two or more wires that shouldn’t touch comes in contact with each other. This results in a rise of current flowing in the circuit, which can damage your electrical components or trip your circuit breaker. In some instances, it can melt the insulation and, ultimately, start a fire.
A short circuit can be caused by loose wiring connections, faulty circuit wiring, and faulty appliance wiring. If you suspect having any of these problems, make sure to seek the services of a licensed electrician. Here are some signs to look out for:
- Burnt markings on an outlet
- Burning smell
- Sparks coming from an outlet
- Buzzing sound
3. Arc Fault
An arc fault is a situation where corroded or loose wirings create an irregular connection, causing a spark between metal points. This spark appears like an arc, thus, its name. When an arc happens, the temperature across the gap can range from 5,000 to 15,000 degrees Celcius. There are also hot gas electrodes shooting in different directions. Thus, presenting a serious fire hazard.
Usually, arc faults are caused by human error or aging electrical installations. Since they are very dangerous, you need to call an electrician Inner West service provider as soon as you notice its signs. Look out for hissing or buzzing sounds coming from an outlet or light switch.
4. Leakage Current
One of the electrical faults that old homes encounter is leakage current. In this instance, your electrical insulation may have already deteriorated or corroded. As a result, electrical current can leak or escape. This can be towards surrounding conductive elements or the ground. Meaning, you are losing energy, and you are at risk of a fire. Aside from that, this can cause electrocution and shock to you and your family.
If you think you are experiencing leakage current or suspect there are electrical faults in your home, call Electrician to the Rescue. We have the equipment, knowledge, and experience to find the faults in your home and fix them before they can cause bigger problems in the future.