Interior designing and renovation both require a bit of your imagination and creativity. There are many ways to get inspiration for your design, such as taking ideas from various objects and even intangible things. Items all around you can be a source for ideas, whether they’re big or small. The trick is to generally be observant and put your resourcefulness into play.
In this article, you’ll learn some of the great ways to gain inspiration for interior design and renovation ideas.
Draw Inspiration From Nature’s Beauty
You can draw inspiration from the beauty of nature and bring out design ideas influenced by its unique and magical atmosphere. For instance, you can use free online DIY tools to help you plan when mimicking the view of a serene, beach-inspired style for your living room. You can use aqua paint colors for the walls and ceilings, as well as seashells, beach stones, and sand bits for your home décor.
Here are the major aspects of nature that you can draw inspiration from when designing:
- Animals: Draw inspiration from your pets, like your cats or dogs. People also tend to get inspired by the beauty of butterflies for colorful room styles, as well as zebras, lions, and tigers for strength and elegance, such as zebra-printed cushions or wall paint.
- Water: The ocean, sea, and falls are very inspiring, and getting a view of them through paintings is a good idea. You can also be inspired by your favorite destinations such as Hawaii by incorporating Hawaiian elements onto your outdoor living space.
- Plants: Plants are naturally relaxing, and you can choose the best household plants, like succulents. Even simple flower arrangements can inspire people and bring out the comfortable and beautiful ambience in your home.
Consider Hot Fashion Trends
Interior designers can also find inspiration from current fashion trends. These could include fabrics or clothing, jewelry, hairstyle, and almost anything about fashion.
Here’s how you can gain inspiration for interior design ideas through current fashion trends:
- Fabric Design: Because of the varying colors, styles, and textures of textiles, you’ll gain good ideas on how they can impact your home. You can work on the fabrics of your sofa, cushion pillowcase, carpet, and rug. Whether you want solid colors for a modern look or patterned ethnic-inspired fabrics, interior design ideas are unlimited.
- Jewelry: You can incorporate precious metals and crystals into your interior designs, most especially if you want a super elegant and luxurious design, such as silver ornaments or gold-plated figurines.
- Hairstyle: While braids are elegant for long-haired women, which mimic ancient Chinese and Korean women, you can draw inspiration on how to arrange window treatments, like curtains, flowers, and table covers with different hairstyles.
Look At Music-Inspired Renovation Ideas
For music lovers, they can draw inspiration from their favorite hobby and passion, incorporating music into interior design. If you recently moved and want to renovate a room as a music studio, you can get inspiration by reading or watching your favorite singers or musicians set up their own music studio at home.
Check out these music-inspired interior design ideas:
- Create a sliding door handle that is made with a pipe.
- Dress up the corner of your entertainment room with a guitar rack to place your collectible guitars.
- You can use old long play or LP vinyl covers as flooring material.
- Install a surprisingly stunning drum set chandelier.
Be Inspired By Arts And Crafts
Getting your inspiration from arts and crafts is very resourceful and creative. If you have a passion for handcrafts, like origami or paper maché, you can create your own home decor for unique room designs.
Here are some examples:
- Paintings: Artwork are very inspiring. You can view famous painters’ designs online and find great ideas on how to combine colors, or print them and put them in frames to hang them in your bedroom or living room for everyone to appreciate.
- Origami: You can practice the Japanese art of paper folding or origami by making a paper rose centerpiece with a three-dimensional origami base, hang origami stars, or by making flower origami wall decals.
- Bamboo-Inspired Crafts: You can also draw inspiration from a material like the bamboo, which is commonly seen in home decor crafts. Opt for bamboo flooring, which is an attractive natural material that adds real estate value to your home. Bamboo is water-resistant and durable like other wood types, making it a great kitchen floor alternative. It can be refinished and easy to maintain.
- Paper Maché: You can create almost anything with paper maché, such as vases, masks, bowls, piñatas, or even furniture. These items can be used as special home decor to beautify your living spaces.
Use Precious Stones
Precious stones are usually associated with birthstones. However, you can also draw interior design and renovation ideas from precious stones, which are also pocket-friendly. So how can you use precious stones as your design inspiration?
Take a look at the following:
- You can mimic the shades of precious stones, like aquamarine’s bluestone, red opal, and blue-green jade by choosing similarly colored backsplash for your kitchen sink or bathroom tiles.
- If you have collectible precious stones, you can have them framed, preserved, and displayed in your living room.
- You can make your favorite precious stone’s color as a theme, such as white pearl and rose quartz.
- Draw inspiration from the meanings of gemstones, such as blue topaz for friendship and higher thinking, emerald for patience and peaceful dreams, and moonstone to balance emotions.
Harness People And Their Stories
Aside from tangible objects, you can also draw inspiration from people around you and their success stories. Learn from their experiences and live following their examples and principles by being reminded of their works through your interior and renovation designs.
Check out how people and their stories can inspire your interior and renovation designs:
- Photo Display: If you greatly honor and respect somebody, and wish to be inspired by that person’s influence and personality, you can add some elements that can remind you of that person, such as having a photo gallery in your room. For instance, your favorite celebrity’s photos can be printed and used as wall decals, or you can have it custom painted onto your bedroom wall.
- Portfolio: If the influential person in your life is a scientist, you can display a miniature figure of their works. An example is having an airplane bed frame or airplane-inspired patio to remind you of the Wright brothers, who are pioneers of aviation.
Let Your Imagination Run Wild
You can gain inspiration from a lot of things you can find inside and outside your home. Be inspired by nature, people and their stories, precious stones, arts and crafts, music, and fashion trends. These tangible and intangible things can affect the behavior and emotion you want to evoke in your interior design and renovation ideas.