The fear of crime and home invasion has become an all-too-common reality for many people, particularly those who live in urban areas. One way to help increase safety is to install iron security doors.
Exterior wrought iron security doors have been around for centuries and are still one of the most popular choices for door security. These doors are very durable and can last for many years. In addition, they add an element of style and elegance to your home.
What Is Wrought Iron?
Before discussing the wrought iron security gates, you should know how this unique wrought iron is formed. Creating wrought iron involves heating a piece of metal until it becomes liquid. The metal is then poured into a mold and cooled to harden. As a result, these exterior wrought iron security doors are strong, long-lasting, and durable.
Tips For Maintaining Wrought Iron Doors
Wrought iron doors are a popular choice for commercial and residential properties. They offer a beautiful, rustic look that can complement any property. These are also very durable and withstand a lot of wear and tear. They are perfect for properties that have high-security needs.
Keeping these doors clean and maintained for their long life is essential. Some steps can be taken to keep iron security doors clean and maintained:
How do you clean wrought iron doors?
Cleaning wrought iron security doors can be a hassle, but it’s essential to do it regularly to keep them looking their best. Here are a few cleaning tips:
1. Use a soft cloth and mild soap. Wipe down the entire door with the cloth, then rinse off the soap with water.
2. If there is a heavy build-up of dirt or dust, use an old toothbrush dipped in household bleach to clean the surface before rinsing off with water. Be sure to wear gloves while doing this.
How to polish wrought iron doors
Polishing a wrought iron door may seem daunting, but with the right tools and techniques, it can be done quickly and easily. Two main types of polishing can be used on security doors: dry and wet polishing.
Dry polishing is the easiest method and can be done with a cloth or a sandpaper block. Rub the door’s surface with the fabric or block until it is smooth. You can also use a polish such as brass polish to restore shine to metal surfaces.
Wet polishing is more involved but can result in a more polished finish. To do this, you will need water and either a steel wool pad or an abrasive cream. Wet the pad or cream in water, then apply it to the door surface.
How to prevent it from rusting?
1. Use a wire brush on a stiff-bristled brush if there is rust or corrosion on the door’s surface. Brushing will remove any loose debris as well as corrosion or rust.
2. Protect the surface – Coat the door’s surface with a protective coating every six to twelve months. This will help to prevent moisture and corrosion from damaging the metal.
3. Apply an anti-glare coating to the surface once per year.
Along with all these cleaning and maintaining techniques, regularly check hinges, locks, and hardware for signs of wear or damage and replace them as necessary.
Keeping your iron security door clean and free of dust and debris is essential for its longevity. Cleaning the door regularly will help to prevent rust, as well as help to keep your iron running smoothly.