If you’re thinking about redoing a room in your home or office, it’s important that you do some quality planning before truly getting into the redesign process. There are a lot of things to consider and think about in order to design exactly the room you have in mind. One of the first things that you will have to do is do some online research to find inspiration. Look at interior design companies’ websites and interior design blogs to get your mind’s wheels turning and to help you start to envision the space you want. Likewise, it will be in your best interest to talk to multiple contractors and interior designers to help you make your vision a reality.
As stated above, there is a lot that goes into redesigning a space. Redesigning a room is so much more than picking out furniture and choosing a wall color, especially if it is a room that is going to get a lot of traffic. With that being said, some important things to consider when designing a room in your home are the windows, doors, and blinds. Many people don’t think about these things as being part of the redesign process, however, they are crucial. This post will detail some key design tips having to do with these important interior design aspects.
Windows are perhaps one of the most important aspects of a home or office. Not only do windows dictate the amount of sunlight you will get in a space, but they are also important for keeping moisture and weather out. Whether you are completely redoing a room, or you have recently noticed that your windows need to be replaced, here are some design tips to help you choose new ones:
- Start by choosing a window style, such as a diamond grid, geometric shaped, or double-hung. This aspect of choosing a window is going to be beneficial for both the interior and exterior of your home
- Be sure to work with an established window replacement company. Replacing windows is not an easy job and must be done right in order to improve longevity and leaks. Talk to friends and family about the company they have used for window remodels or look online for local window companies that have received outstanding reviews
- Choose the glass packaged that makes sense for your home. Glass packages give your windows the ability to become energy saving as they will keep temperatures out while also allow the right amount of sunlight in. Some popular glass packages to consider include:
- Argon Gas
- Krypton Gas
- Dual and Triple Pane Glass
- Low-e glazing
If you are looking for bespoke solutions to your ventilation problems, window openers can be the best possible solution. Natural ventilation is necessary in your home or commercial building, as it helps in keeping your house cool and comfortable. These are some best solutions worth considering before picking a ventilation system other than AC.
Choosing a door is a bit more exciting than choosing windows as you have more of a visually pleasing selection to pick from. Here are some tips to think about while you make that important selection:
- Choose the perfect color and material. A quality door design company will be able to help you with this
- Be sure to frame your door with a durable yet attractive molding
- Think about the style you are looking for. The style of your door has the potential to set the entire mood of a room as it is the first thing that people see as they enter the space. As you choose the style, think about the following:
- What room is this door for?
- How tall are my ceilings?
- What material is the flooring, will this door make sense with the floors I have?
Blinds are not something that most people know how to choose. Blinds are a design aspect that people often forget about because of their long span and lack of need to be replaced frequently. If you are in the market for new blinds, here are some things you should know about choosing blinds that are right for you.
- There are various kinds of blinds, from vertical blinds to windows with built-in blinds. Spend some time looking online and talking to a blind specialist to choose the kind of blinds that make sense for your space.
- Think about how often you are going to open your blinds; this will determine whether you want blinds with a cord or not
- Blinds are different than shades. Though they serve the same purpose, shades are a bit more expensive and are harder to clean and maintain compared to window blinds. Blinds are your best bet when it comes to keeping light out.
Keep these design tips in mind as you plan your room remodel. Whether you are redesigning your bedroom, family room, or even your bathroom, these tips will help you consider things you may not have thought of before.
About the Author
Jennifer Bell is a freelance writer, blogger, dog-enthusiast and avid beachgoer operating out of Southern New Jersey