In the spring of 2017, almost 50 million people in the U.S. had new carpet installed in their home. This is pretty impressive considering many people state the popularity of carpet is falling.
The fact is, carpet is as popular as ever thanks to the warm and inviting environment it can help create in a home. In fact, there’s no other flooring that can match the look or feel of new carpet.
While this is true, some people have shied away from this floor covering because they believed it is too hard to keep clean. This simply isn’t true.
The fact is, caring for carpet can actually be quite easy. One part of this is knowing what to do, and the other is having the right equipment to keep your carpet new looking, longer.
If you want to know the best way to keep your carpet clean, keep reading and implement the three tips found here.
- Vacuum Your Carpet the Right Way
Did you realize that up to 75 percent of the soils in your carpet are dry soils you can remove with a vacuum? You need to ensure you remove these before trying any other cleaning method, as they can turn into mud-like substances if they get wet.
Drymaster recommends these tips to follow when vacuuming your carpet, which include:
- Set your vacuum to the right height: If the vacuum is too low, it can damage the carpet, if it’s too high, it won’t pick up the dirt.
- Vacuum regularly: To best protect your carpet, vacuum the high traffic areas twice per week, and the rest of the carpet in your home, one weekly (at least).
- Use a clean filter or bag: Dirty filters, cups or bags can reduce a vacuum’s suction power by more than half – be sure to clean this before you vacuum.
If you have an older vacuum, then it may be time to invest in an upgrade. Read the best upright vacuum reviews to find out which one is right for you.
- Clean Up Stains Immediately – The Right Way
If you spill something, or a stain is caused in some other way, there’s a 99 percent chance you can remove it. However, the longer you let a stain react chemically with your carpet, the harder it’s going to be to remove.
Believe it or not, up to 80 percent of all stains can be removed with water – just water. Use a clean, dry and white cloth to absorb as much of it as possible. Then, work water into the stain and blot it until it disappears. If you have a particularly challenging spot, use a spot treatment product.
- Some tips to help you with carpet stains include:
- Don’t scrub or rub
- Be patient
- Use club soda or vinegar on tougher spots
- Test a commercial product on a small spot first
- Call the Professionals
There’s no question that you are going to have to take action to ensure your carpets remain stain and spot free. However, it is also a good idea to call the professionals in for service and cleaning from time to time.
The professionals can help with tougher stains and ensure the carpet is clean overall. In most cases, calling once a year or a few times a year will be enough to keep your carpet looking great.
Do you have carpet in your home now? Are you thinking about buying new carpet? If so, knowing how to keep it clean can be extremely beneficial. Use the tips and information here to keep your carpet looking new as long as possible.