Roller doors are one of the largest moving parts of the house and are mostly used in garages. They are heavy and if not maintained properly can lead to accidents. When it comes to roller door repair for your garage there are different types of it and specific steps to follow to ensure best repair job. As for the types of repairs you have up and over types of repair, sectional repairs and several other types.
- Up and over door repairs involves a simple mechanism. You have to lift the door up and slide it into the empty space in the garage roof. Repairs are needed for the garage doorsrollers, handles and locks. Sometimes, depending on the type of damage, broken cables, wires, spindles and springs may be replaced. This applies for both types of such doors: canopy style and retractable. In the canopy style roller garage door, the overhang on the outside creates a canopy-like effect but in the retractable roller garage door it slides in completely into the roof space.
- Sectional garage door repair is much more flexible when it opens requiring less space. It is stored in the overhead and splits into small sections in the ceiling rollers. All sections including cables, springs, slats, and rollers are repairable.
- Roller garage door repairs are beaten and tidy as it coils into a small roll that is inside and above the garage door. These doors are perfect for oddly shaped garages and this type of roller door repair include locks, handles and rollers.
The Steps involved
The process for garage roller door repair starts with checking the metal tracks. The mounting brackets are inspected. If these are loose, the bolts and screws at the brackets must be tightened. Also, professionals check for crimps, dents, or flat spots and if these are damaged. It can be rectified pounding them with a hammer, rubber mallet, or a block of scrap wood.
- Alignment: The level of the tracks is then checked for proper alignment. Horizontal tracks must slant down toward the back slightly while for roll-up doors the vertical sections of track must be plumb. However, both tracks must be at the same height. If not, the screws are loosened but not removed, the tracks are tapped gently to align properly and the screw tightened again.
- Cleaning: Cleaning of tracks is the next step to remove dirt, dust and hardened grease from it. After cleaning the rollers properly, both tracks are wiped and the roller drying.
- Fixing and tightening:To complete the process of roller door repair, check for any loose hardware is made and tightened if found. For swing-up doors, the plates are checked and for roll-up doors, the hinges are checked as well. For enlarged screw hole, a longer screw is used but of the same diameter. A hollow fiber plug soaked with carpenters’ glue is used with the new screw.
Repairing or Replacing
Go for roller door repair is a best idea. A lot of factors will ask for a complete replacement of the garage door.
When the door stops working completely or if you are sick of the way it looks you may want to get it replaced. However, mostly it is a combination of these two factors that call for a replacement. Apart from that, you may also consider the prices of a complete replacement and roller door repair. If you find that the door is serviceable, and you do not have the required cash, it is feasible to get it repaired than to replace it.
However, when you buy a new door consider the material as well as the style of the garage door. If you want to contribute to the environment, go for a green garage door.