Homeowners who seek the functionality, aesthetics, and privacy of their windows use plantation shutters as their popular choice. PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) is part of the material used for its manufacture. Its durability and versatility make it stand out.
Apart from briefly defining what PVC plantation shutters are, we’ll compare wood and PVC shutters and attempt to guide you to find out which one best suit your needs. Also, before we end this discussion, we shall examine its pros.
PVC Plantation shutters are window coverings constructed with horizontal slats, which are normally wider than the traditional blinds, with adjustable louvres. ‘Plantain Shutters’ derives its name from the United States plantation homes.
Its architectural design is styled after it too. The adjustable nature of the louvres allows users to control the amount of air and light entering the room. This supports versatile lighting and promotes privacy options. You can learn more about this option here.
Wood or PVC Shutters: Which Plantation Shutters Are for You?
The fact that this window adds both practicality and elegance to any space is not in doubt. However, the first challenge users often face is deciding which one to go for, wood or PVC blinds.
Each option caters to different needs, budgets, and tastes. They also have uniquely different characteristics and benefits. Let’s explore their various attributes in this section to help you make an informed decision.
Wood shutters have been around for years and have been used to add charm and sophistication to various architectural works. Cedar, oak, basswood, pine, and maple are the common timber used for this purpose.
Characteristics of Wood Shutters
The depth of craftsmanship and the material composition of timber-made shades contribute to their distinctiveness and great appeal. Let’s check out some of its characteristics.
- Aesthetics: The natural grain patterns and warmth of the wood create a sense of timelessness and elegance. They often exude luxurious classiness that complements traditional and contemporary interior designs.
- Customization: They can be customized to match or suit various colours, interior décor, and personal preferences. The unique ability to paint or stain wood allows homeowners to showcase the beauty of the wood’s natural grain.
- Insulation: Wood shades are also good insulation materials. During the summer, they block out heat and, in cold weather, retain warmth, thereby helping in the regulation of indoor temperatures. This amazing feature contributes to energy efficiency and potential cost savings on heating.
- Durability: They are durable and can last for decades with proper maintenance. Compared to other materials, high-quality wood blinds are less prone to fading and discoloration.
- Value: Their elegance and sophistry add significantly to the market value and aesthetic appeal of the house.
The Benefits of Wood Shutters
Below are some of the benefits of using wood shades:
- Timeless Beauty: They’re brilliantly elegant and artistically sophisticated. This makes them a much sought-after material among homeowners who love traditional aesthetics.
- Customization Options: They can be tailored to suit the interior design preferences of homeowners.
- Lasts Long: Provided they are well treated and cared for, they can last for years. This makes them attractive to investors.
These window shades have adjustable louvres. The modern alternative to wood shutters is PVC plantation shutters also referred to as vinyl shutters. As their name suggests, they’re made from synthetic polyvinyl chloride or PVC.
Characteristics of PVC Shutters
Now, following the route we took for timber-made shades, let’s examine their characteristics and benefits. This will give us the full complement to compare.
- Moisture Resistance: PVC shades are resistant to moisture. This makes them suitable for humid areas in the home, like the kitchen and bathrooms.
- Cost-Effective: They are more cost-effective than wood shades. This makes homeowners with a tight budget opt for it.
- Low Maintenance: Maintenance is easy and very minimal. It can be cleaned with a damp cloth or mild detergent.
- Lightweight: They are far lighter than wood shades. In cases where the weight of the infrastructure is a concern or for larger windows, this is a more beneficial option. They exert less stress on the hinges and frames.
Benefits of PVC Shutters
PVC blinds are beneficial in the following ways:
- Moisture Resistance: It is an excellent choice for kitchens, bathrooms, and humid environments.
- Budget-Friendly: They are reasonably affordable. This makes them a welcomed alternative to more expensive wood shades.
- Low Maintenance: For those seeking convenience in their window treatment, this is the choice. It requires very minimal effort to clean and maintain.
So Which Plantation Shutters Will be Best for You?
Based on all we’ve discussed above, in determining which option to go for, between wood or PVC, you should consider the following factors:
If you value beauty and natural grain patterns, go for wood shades. Otherwise, if your preference is for modern appeal, opt for synthetic blinds.
Wood shades are generally more expensive. So, consider your budget and weigh it against your desires.
If the area where you intend to install it is prone to wetness or humidity, synthetic blinds are your best bet. They are water-resistant.
If your consideration is long-term and you desire the durability of natural materials, then wood shades may be worth your money.
The degree of customization you require may swing your choice either way. Wood shades offer versatility in terms of paint, stain, and finish options. On the other hand, synthetic blinds provide a selection of colours and styles.
Pros of PVC Plantation Shutters
The numerous advantages of PVC plantation shades make them appealing to homeowners, which is why they have gained popularity. Here are some of its pluses:
Durability and Longevity
PVC plantation shutters are durable because they are made from synthetic materials. They do not wear, tear, warp, crack, or chip easily.
Because of their water-resistant nature, they protect against damage caused by mould, mildew, or rot.
They retain their colour and finish over time because of their low-maintenance nature. Wood shades will require regular staining or painting to maintain their appearance.
Their cost-effectiveness makes them an attractive alternative for homeowners. With synthetic blinds, they can upgrade their window coverings without breaking the bank.
They help regulate indoor temperatures because of their insulating properties. Consequentially, they also contribute to energy efficiency and cost savings.
Because of the UV treatment they receive during manufacturing, they’re able to protect the material from harmful UV rays. This helps the synthetic blinds maintain its original colour and appearance for a longer time.
Versatility and Customization
They can be tailor-made to suit users’ preferences, whether modern, eclectic, or classic. They come in a wide range of styles, colours, and louvre sizes.
Because synthetic blinds are recyclable and energy-efficient, they are seen as an environmentally friendly product.
PVC plantation shutters are a popular choice for homeowners and businesses seeking durable, low-maintenance, and aesthetically pleasing window treatments. They offer affordability, moisture resistance, and low maintenance, making them a practical and long-lasting investment.
Wood shutters, on the other hand, offer timeless elegance, insulation, and customization options. If you visit https://diyshutters.com.au/ you’ll get a lot of information that will help you if you wish to try the DIY route.
Given the pros enumerated in this discussion, it’s no surprise that PVC plantation shades have widespread popularity. Its aesthetic appeal and general functionality account for this.
Your ability to painstakingly evaluate the characteristics and benefits of each option to make an informed decision is important. Choose the option that best aligns with your style, preference, and needs.