Several tasks are performed by Kentucky plumbers. These tasks include getting an existing water system fixed, and installing a new pipe. Before people in Kentucky plan to work as a plumber they need to get a license. Whether they wish to start a plumbing business or work for an employer. The government in Kentucky does not allow people to practice plumbing if they do not have a license to practice.
Types of Plumbing License in Kentucky
The state of Kentucky provides two kinds of licenses to people who wish to get a license in plumbing. One is a Journeyman plumber license and another is a master plumber license. The authority that issues these licenses is called the department of construction, buildings, and housing. The vocational school of Kentucky offers a training program to apprentices. Here people do not need a license to complete the training program.
Requirements to Get A Journeyman License in Kentucky
- To get a journeyman license people should have at least 4 years of experience of working as an apprentice. This is the minimum work experience required.
- The minimum age limit to be eligible for the journeyman license in Kentucky is 18 years.
- Most importantly they need to pass a test that assesses their knowledge base on techniques of plumbing.
Requirements to Get A Master Plumber License in Kentucky
- To get a master plumber license students must have a liability insurance coverage of $250,000.
- In the state of Kentucky, the people who are awarded this license should be above 18 years.
- They need to pass the written test.
- Their background information is also cross-checked in the state of Kentucky before interested candidates are awarded with this license.
Whether you are applying for a journeyman license or a master license the average salary for plumbers in Kentucky starts at $21.54.
Step By Step Process To Apply For A Plumbing License in Kentucky
- The most unusual thing about getting a plumbing license in Kentucky is that it is the only state that gives importance to the moral character of the person who applies for a plumbing license. As per the clause students who are applying for a license in plumbing needs to pass criminal background verification. If they have a criminal record they are not entitled to a plumbing license.
- Any course in plumbing involves both theoretical and practical classes. Students need to enroll in plumbing classes for a year and then pass an internship program of four years. Students will be taught how to install or repair a septic tank. Fix fixtures related to plumbing like pipes, and taps, dispose of garbage, and will also gather detailed information about the water systems. The plumbing courses also include laws of construction and technical jargon used in plumbing that are known as plumbing codes.
- Students applying for a plumbing license in Kentucky need to go through a two and half hour exam and need to arrive at the testing center by 7.30.
- Several companies in Kentucky offer internship programs for plumbers. Students undergoing the course need to accompany licensed plumbers to sites that include residential and non-residential complexes. They can also take the help of a union to apply for an internship program but students cannot officially join the union until they have a certain amount of experience along with a valid license.
- A license applied in Kentucky is only valid in the state and not outside Kentucky.
- There are no trade shows for plumbers in Kentucky but the students who wish to become certified plumbers can attend “Tennessee PHCC Annual Convention and Trade Show in Knoxville” It helps them network with other plumbers and also introduces them to the new tools and equipment that are necessary for plumbing.
- The validity of a journeyman license is 1 year whereas a master license is valid for up to 3 years in Kentucky. However, for ky plumbing license renewal the application must be sent to the concerned authorities much ahead of time before the license gets expired. i.e., people should not wait till the license gets expired to renew it. In the state of Kentucky people need to go through continuing education for six hours every year for the renewal of the journeyman as well as the master’s license. The course needs to cover either business, or job safety, or specific matters related to plumbing trade or otherwise the plumbing codes of the state of Kentucky. The renewal form needs to be paid along with the fees for the renewal of the license.
Therefore considering all the above aspects of plumbing in Kentucky it can be said that to get a license in plumbing students need to either apply for the journeyman or the master’s license. The license is valid only in the state of Kentucky and people are not authorized to practice plumbing outside. Also, they need to go through a one-year training program followed by a four-year internship program and regarding continuing education courses for plumbing in Kentucky, the students need to go through six hours of continuing education every year irrespective of which license they are getting renewed and the application should be sent before the expiration of the license.