Among all the decorative works you can think of for your home, bathroom remodeling must be the trickiest one; even the littlest of mistakes can cost you a lot. This is also not something you aim to do often since it not only needs to be very well-planned but also equally well executed. Therefore, finding a good contractor becomes a crucial goal.
Finding a contractor to hire for remodeling your bathroom is no less trickier than the remodel itself; there are a lot of things to consider and enquire about. But the very first question that comes to your mind after getting done with your planning and designing is…
Where Can You Look for a Good Contractor?
There are smart ways to help you with searching for a contractor; use all of them.
1. Look for Recommendations
Ask your friends and relatives for recommendations. Contact those who have had their bathroom remodeled recently. You can also take suggestions from a neighbor if they are having their remodeling done. If you have one, ask a builder friend to help you with it.
However, if you can’t recall any such people you know, then ask those who usually know a lot of people and have a good network of contacts; there is a very good chance that they will find some people to do your enquiry.
Social media platforms like Facebook can provide recommendations from a broader community. All you have to do is publish a post asking for recommendations. However, the results depend on the respective crowd of your account.
2. Search through the Internet
Ask Google; it will come up with plenty of suggestions. There are some reputed farms with their profiles, like Bathroom Remodel Denver; go through them to know them better and then shortlist those who you would like to consider for the job. You will get all their contact information there. So your next step will be to call and set up a meeting with them.
How to Make the Enquiry
When looking for recommendations, merely asking for names won’t do; you need to know more about them to make the initial decision to meet the contractor for further discussion. Write out a set of questions to ask the friend or relative so you don’t miss out on anything crucial. Here are some questions you can keep in mind:
1. What Type of Remodeling Work Have They Done? Hopefully, it would be the same type of work as you are planning to do. Contractors may have their specialities; who was excellent with one thing, may not be good enough for another thing.
2. When Did They Have it Done? This will give you an idea of the durability of their work. Again, if they had done it much earlier, you should consider inquiring about the current status of that project, too.
3. Was the Work Satisfactory? Ask them how satisfied they were with the job their contractor had done, including what they liked the best and if there was something they didn’t like. Think if these pieces of information satisfy your expectations.
4. Are They Still Doing Well? Sometimes a work that initially went well, doesn’t last long, causing more money to be spent on repairing.
5. How Were the Expenses? Bathroom remodeling is an expensive job. Make sure the recommended contractor fits in your probable budget.
6. Was the Payment System Comfortable? Different contractors maintain different payment systems; try to know if their payment system would be comfortable for you too.
7. How Did They Behave? Last but not least, the contractor you are about to hire should be well-behaved; otherwise, things may get uncomfortable later. So find this out too!
However, if you are looking for a contractor profile over the internet, make sure to do a good amount of research. Look for those well-reputed ones since they have their reputation to maintain.
While going through a website or profile, make sure to read all the reviews; many times they leave information the contractor will never tell you.
However, you will never know much until you meet them and do the final inquiry. You may also take a note of their response and behavior when you called. There will be many answers you would already know by then through your research; still ask them again to double check and make sure their answers are consistent.
Things You Should Inquire about from the Contractors
1. Working License:
Whoever you hire, make sure they are authorized for it. Not only ask them but also ask them to show their working license to you before taking a further step.
2. Work Experiences:
Ask them how long they have been working in this field. The more experienced they are, the more likely they are to provide better service. Also ensure the type of work you are planning to do they have successfully done that kind of work or similar before.
Make sure they are properly trained and have detailed and advanced knowledge about bathroom remodeling. Ask for certifications to ensure you are not being fooled.
Ask contractors to provide references of their satisfied clients and call them to dig a bit more. Ask the same questions you would ask your friends.5. Costing
You should have it properly written from their side in detail; there should be no hidden costs. As stated before, it’s a costly project, so be prepared to spend a little extra if needed.
If a company is asking for a high price, that doesn’t mean they are better than another company, but you should not aim for the cheapest company either. Find someone reasonable with proper research.
6. Payment System
It says a lot about their work ethics and financial situation. A contractor with good financial status will not demand a large or total upfront payment; rather, they will ask for 10% in advance then rest after delivering the work.
7. Insurance Policy:
Ask them about their insurance policy in detail; they should have it and you should hire someone who offers the best one.
Finally, Trust Your Gut
Sometimes this works above all the rules; trust it when you sense it. But that doesn’t mean you should jump on any decision out of nothing. Do your research and inquiry first, then go with your instinct. Hopefully this article helps you find a perfect contractor for your planned renovations.