It’s no surprise that cats love boxes! Many of our feline friends are known for leaving their expensive comfy beds, to crawl into one of the old boxes hanging around the house. Boxes provide a sense of comfort and safety for our cats. Previously in the wild, small closed places used to make them feel invisible to stalk their prey or hide from predators.
And that is why we have come up with some easy ways to make a dream cave for your cat.
Only a box and an old jumper
This way is fast, simple and easy to make. It will probably take around five minutes and doesn’t require a huge budget. Even if you are not a crafting expert, it’s still super easy to execute. It can be made from old stuff you have. So, if you have an old sweater or a jumper and a suitable box that fits your cat size comfortably, you are good to go.
- Take the old box and open it from one side.
- Slide the sweatshirt over the box.
- Position the opening of the sweatshirt in the center of the opening of the box.
- Tie the sleeves into two tight knots.
- Tuck the loose ends of the jumper into the sleeves.
- A bonus tip: if you add any old t-shirt you have, it will make the cave extra comfy and it will smell like their favorite human.
A super easy cat tent
This might require some effort and extra time. But still, it’s super easy to get it done and doesn’t require a huge amount of money. All you need is a 15×15 inch segment of cardboard, two wire hangers, safety pins, tape, and of course a pair of pliers to help you cut the hangers and bend them.
- Cut both the undulant ends of the hangers.
- Shape the hanger into two curves, a sort of a U shape. Make sure they can go from one corner of your cardboard to the other.
- Make the cardboard ends up smoother, more supportive and more stable, by taping all around the edges.
- Take the hangers and poke a hole half an inch in each corner. The holes shouldn’t be too small or too big, just the right size to fit the hangers.
- Tape the two hangers together from the middle in an X formation, making sure that each hanger end reaches the cardboard.
- Push the hangers ends in the holes you poked earlier.
- Bend the ends of the hangers and glue them to the cardboard. You can use the tape to make sure it will not get loose and it won’t poke holes into the sweatshirt.
- Push the old sweatshirt or t-shirt to fit the hangers and the cardboard leaving the neck hole in the front middle of the tent.
- Tuck the loose ends to the back of the cardboard and pin them down tightly and smoothly.
- You can also put a blanket or a pillow if it’s cold to make sure your furry buddy is warm and comfortable.
It Can Get Overwhelming
For someone who had never done any crafting, it can be hard, but you can find some awesome colorful cat caves with great discounts on plenty of sites, Cat Cave Co is a great place to start. Pampering your cat to a cave is a great idea as it gives back some of the love they always give us.